Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is Nest&Cut restricted to any particular cutting technology?
Nest&Cut works perfectly for various types of profile cutting technologies: laser, flame, plasma, water-jet cutting, 2D milling or routing, knife cutting, etc.
Is Nest&Cut restricted to any particular industry sector?
Nest&Cut online automatic nesting can be widely used in various industries such as sheet metal working, textile manufacturing, packaging & printing, foam manufacturing, woodworking, synthetic & composite material manufacturing...and anyotherones where there is a need for nesting and optimization.
Who should use Nest&Cut?
Nest&Cut can be used by:
- Industrial end users (sub-contractors or manufacturers) who want to cut their nesting layouts on their machines.
- For manufacturers and orders givers who need help for estimating their raw material consumption.
- Cutting machine builders or resellers who want to build a competitive product offering by partnering with Nest&Cut and have their customers benefiting from its advanced features, easy to use and its attractive pricing build.
For what kind of shapes is Nest&Cut suitable for?
- Nest&Cut is suitable for 2D true shape nesting and profile cutting. More advanced or specific features such as common cutting, multi-head cutting, non-rectangular sheet formats will be added in the future.
- Currently, Nest&Cut does not support guillotine cutting and 3D blocks nesting. These features could be added in the future. For such cases, Alma provides almaCube, an on-premise software application dedicated to 3D parallelepipedic block nesting and 2D rectangular nesting. To learn more please visit the page almaCube.
- If you are looking for some specific features in our online nesting application, please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are a software developer looking for 2D or 3D nesting library to integrate into your own software application, please visit powernestlib.com.
When I upload my DXF or DWG file, some of its contents are not converted into parts. What’s wrong?
Most of the time shapes intersect or do not form closed loops. Nest&Cut tries to correct it but sometimes it is too difficult, see below the examples:
- We relink open shapes. However, if the gap is too big it may fail.
We clean the intersections. However, if they are too complex, it may fail.
- We can import multiple shapes in one file. Nest&Cut will identify the same shape separately. However, if shapes are superimposed it may fail.
Does Nest&Cut give the best possible results?
Finding the best nesting layout is a difficult mathematical problem for which there is no feasible exact algorithm. However, Nest&Cut strives to deliver an optimized result in a short time thanks to its proprietary cloud-based nesting engine and its strong automatic nesting expertise. Indeed, Nest&Cut is the online automatic nesting software of Alma, a CAD/CAM software company known for its 40-year expertise in the automatic nesting of complex shapes and cutting optimization.
How far does Nest&Cut go today?
- Maximum optimization time: 300 seconds.
- Maximum number of different parts: 1 500.
- Maximum total number of parts: 10 000.
- Data retension: 30 days.
Is it possible to use Nest&Cut with all browsers ?
- Nest&Cut is running perfectly with every browsers EXCEPT Microsoft Edge.
- For optimal use, remember to update the versions of your browsers regularly.
What kind of output does Nest&Cut generate and how to exploit it?
- Nest&Cut generates an optimized nesting layout in DXF or DWG along with parts cutting order which can be used in a CAM software or directly in the cutting machine's controller. The generation of the sequence and the NC code will be available in a future version. If you are looking for this feature, please let us know at email@example.com.
- If you are looking for an applicative CAD/CAM software product that includes nesting features to drive your CNC cutting machines in the field of sheet metal cutting or wood milling, please visit almacam.com to find a reseller in your region.
How can I check the terms of service of Nest&Cut app ?
For the terms of service of Nest&Cut app, please click here.
If the FAQ section below does not answer your questions, please contact our support team via firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll be happy to help out.