Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is Nest&Cut restricted to any particular cutting technology?
Nest&Cut works perfectly for various types of profile cutting technologies: laser, flame, plasma, water-jet cutting, 2D milling or routing, knife cutting, etc.
Is Nest&Cut restricted to any particular industry sector?
Nest&Cut online automatic nesting can be widely used in various industries such as sheet metal working, textile manufacturing, packaging & printing, foam manufacturing, woodworking, synthetic & composite material manufacturing...and any other ones where there is a need for nesting and optimization.
Who should use Nest&Cut?
Nest&Cut can be used by:
- Industrial end users (sub-contractors or manufacturers) who want to cut their nesting layouts on their machines.
- For manufacturers and orders givers who need help for estimating their raw material consumption.
- Cutting machine builders or resellers who want to build a competitive product offering by partnering with Nest&Cut and have their customers benefiting from its advanced features, easy to use and its attractive pricing build.
For what kind of shapes is Nest&Cut suitable for?
- Nest&Cut is suitable for 2D true shape nesting and profile cutting. More advanced or specific features such as common cutting, multi-head cutting, non-rectangular sheet formats will be added in the future.
- Currently, Nest&Cut does not support guillotine cutting and 3D blocks nesting. These features could be added in the future. For such cases, Alma provides almaCube, an on-premise software application dedicated to 3D parallelepipedic block nesting and 2D rectangular nesting. To learn more please visit the page almaCube.
- If you are looking for some specific features in our online nesting application, please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are a software developer looking for 2D or 3D nesting library to integrate into your own software application, please visit powernestlib.com.
Does Nest&Cut give the best possible results?
Finding the best nesting layout is a difficult mathematical problem for which there is no feasible exact algorithm. However, Nest&Cut strives to deliver an optimized result in a short time thanks to its proprietary cloud-based nesting engine and its strong automatic nesting expertise. Indeed, Nest&Cut is the online automatic nesting software of Alma, a CAD/CAM software company known for its 40-year expertise in the automatic nesting of complex shapes and cutting optimization.
What kind of output does Nest&Cut generate and how to exploit it?
- Nest&Cut generates an optimized nesting layout in DXF along withparts cutting order which can be used in a CAM software or directly in the cutting machine's controller. The generation of the sequence and the NC code will be available in a future version. If you are looking for this feature, please let us know at email@example.com.
- If you are looking for an applicative CAD/CAM software product that includes nesting features to drive your CNC cutting machines in the field of sheet metal cutting or wood milling, please visit almacam.com to find a reseller in your region.
Why DXF files imported from Illustrator appear larger than their original size?
DXF files from Adobe illustrator are always exported in inches due to a known bug.
Importing those DXF files with correct sizes is still possible on Nest&Cut by changing the import unit at the top right of the layer selection page.
Please refer to the screenshot below, on how to change the import unit.
If the FAQ section below does not answer your questions, please contact our support team via firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll be happy to help out.